Wow, this is huge news for Ford! The all-new 2013 Ford Fusion is the most fuel-efficient midsize sedan in America with an EPA-certified 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway and 47 mpg combined fuel economy rating for its hybrid model.
That means that Fusion Hybrid tops the Toyota Camry Hybrid by 8 mpg highway and 4 mpg city. So, it delivers the highest-ever fuel economy numbers in city and highway driving for a midsize sedan.
“The new Fusion is part of our plan to offer vehicles with the very best quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value,” says Alan Mulally, Ford president and CEO. “We are absolutely committed to class-leading fuel efficiency as a reason to buy Ford vehicles, with customers able to choose the fuel-efficient powertrain that best fits their lifestyle.”
Choices, choices: Two EcoBoost engines: one hybrid vs. one plug-in hybrid
The Fusion offers hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants as well as two fuel-efficient EcoBoost® four-cylinder engines. Plus, Fusion is available with Ford’s patented Auto Start-Stop system. It automatically shuts off the engine at stationary idle to help save drivers even more fuel in stop-and-go city driving. Fusion is available in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations with both six-speed automatic and six-speed manual transmissions.
“Ford is bringing power of choice to midsize sedan buyers,” says Mark Fields, president of The Americas. “More than 2 million customers this year will purchase midsize cars. Our new Fusion delivers the fuel savings people truly want and value, with technologies that cost two to three times the price on some German sedans.”
Fuel economy numbers for remainder of Fusion lineup:
- 1.6-liter EcoBoost: 25 mpg city, 37 mpg highway, 29 mpg combined
- 2.0-liter EcoBoost: 22 mpg city, 33 mpg highway, 26 mpg combined
- 2.5-liter: 22 mpg city, 34 mpg highway, 26 mpg combined
- Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid: Projected 100-plus MPGe (miles-per-gallon equivalent)
The Fusion equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine is available with Ford’s patented, fuel-saving Auto Start-Stop system, which smoothly shuts off engine power when the car is stopped and seamlessly restarts as the driver releases the brake pedal. This feature, available for just $295, improves fuel efficiency by 3.5 percent and reduces emissions.
Two additional innovations on the Fusion Hybrid to help deliver industry-best fuel efficiency include: Ford’s patented SmartGauge® with EcoGuide that coaches drivers for top fuel efficiency; and ECO Cruise, a greener cruise control functionality that helps optimize powertrain elements for convenient yet economical highway travel.
The 2013 Ford Fusion offers an unprecedented portfolio of driver assistance and convenience technologies using sensors, cameras and radar to enable the car to “see” and respond.
The car can help drivers maintain proper lane position, adjust their vehicle’s speed to changing traffic conditions, identify suitable parking spaces and it can practically park itself. Not to mention, it can aid drivers backing out of a parking space in which visibility is obstructed.
Look at What Fusion Can Do!
- Lane-Keeping System: Using a small, forward-facing camera behind the inside rearview mirror, this system “looks” down the road, monitoring lane lines to determine that the car is on course. The system will alert a driver if drowsiness or erratic lane-keeping is detected. The second element warns a driver with a steering wheel vibration if the Fusion drifts too close to lane markings. Finally, Lane-Keeping Aid will actually apply pressure on the steering to help bring the car back into proper lane position
- Adaptive cruise control: Using forward-looking radar, this system “looks” down the road when activated, slowing the Fusion when slower traffic is detected ahead. The system can help slow the car if the potential of a crash is detected
- Active park assist: Employing sensors, this technology identifies a suitable parallel parking space, calculates the trajectory, and steers the car to properly position it within the spot. Drivers operate accelerator and brake pedals
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert: Sensors in both Fusion rear quarter-panels are able to detect traffic in a driver’s blind spot, providing both audible and visual warnings if traffic is detected. BLIS technology enables cross-traffic alert, warning the driver of oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space with obstructed views, such as between two large vehicles
The all-new Fusion also offers the newest version of Ford’s award-winning SYNC® communications and entertainment system, which enables voice-activated communication through a driver’s mobile phone and interaction with the car’s audio system.
Fusion is available with the latest version of MyFord Touch®, allowing a driver to interact with vehicle systems through voice control, a touch screen tap or a conventional button.
Both SYNC and MyFord Touch – powered by SYNC – help reduce the potential for driver distraction through voice-controlled functionality, allowing drivers to keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
Check out Ford’s complete winning line up at Prestige Ford in Garland (serving Mesquite, Rockwall, Rowlett, Richardson and the Greater Dallas areas) just off 635 and Garland Road. www.PrestigeGarland.com